EnergyOnline
Services

RSS FEED

EnergyOnline.com rss

News

NRC Issues Early Site Permit to Tennessee Valley Authority for SMRs at Clinch River Site

LCG, December 27, 2019--The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) announced on December 17 that the Commission has authorized the issuance of an Early Site Permit (ESP) for Tennessee Valley Authority's (TVA's) Clinch River site near Oak Ridge, Tennessee. The ESP closes several site-related issues, including many environmental impacts, for small modular reactors (SMRs) at the site. The ESP is the first issued by the NRC for SMRs and will be valid for up to 20 years from date of issuance.

Read more

NRC Issues Subsequent License Renewals for First Time to Nuclear Reactors in Florida

LCG, December 11, 2019--The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) staff recently approved Florida Power & Light's (FPL's) application for an additional 20 years of operation for Turkey Point Nuclear Generating Units 3 and 4. This is the first time the NRC has issued renewed licenses authorizing reactor operation from 60 to 80 years. The subsequent (or second) license renewals (SLRs) for Turkey Point Unit 3 and Unit 4 now expire on July 19, 2052 and April 10, 2053, respectively.

Read more

Industry News

PSC Approves Plan to Construct Two Nuclear Units in South Carolina

LCG, February 12, 2009--The Public Service Commission (PSC) of South Carolina yesterday voted unanimously to approve the application of South Carolina Electric & Gas Company (SCE&G) to construct two additional nuclear reactors at the V.C. Summer Nuclear Station in South Carolina. The first unit is scheduled to commence operations in 2016, with operations of the second unit following in 2019.

The nuclear expansion project is a joint project between SCE&G, the principal subsidiary of SCANA Corp., and state-operated Santee Cooper. SCE&G will hold a 55 percent share, with Santee Cooper holding the remaining 45 percent. SCE&G will operate the two new, 1,117-MW units.

SCE&G and Santee Cooper jointly own the existing 966-MW V.C. Summer plant, and SCE&G is the plant operator. Commercial operations of the existing facility began in January 1984.

The PSC allowed SCE&G to start implementing a rate increase to cover some of the costs to finance the project, given SCE&G shows that the project is on schedule and that expenditures are within limits set in the Commission?s order. The estimated project cost to build both units, excluding the cost to finance and the cost for transmission upgrades, is $9.8 billion.

In May 2008, Santee Cooper and SCE&G announced a contractual agreement with Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC, and Stone & Webster, a subsidiary of The Shaw Group Inc., for the design and construction of the two units.

Approval from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is necessary before construction can begin, and that decision is not expected until late 2011 or early 2012. Santee Cooper and SCE&G submitted an application with the NRC in March 2008 for a combined construction and operating license (COL).




Copyright © 2020 LCG Consulting. All rights reserved. Terms and Copyright
Generator X
Generation and Transmission Planning and Optimization
UPLAN-NPM
The Locational Marginal Price Model (LMP) Network Power Model
UPLAN-ACE
Day Ahead and Real Time Market Simulation
PowerMax
Day-ahead and real-time portfolio revenue optimization
UPLAN-G
The Gas Procurement and Competitive Analysis System
PLATO
Database of Plants, Loads, Assets, Transmission...
MarketWatch
Annual summary of prices, congestion and important events in ERCOT
CAISO CRR Auctions
Monthly Price and Congestion Forecasting Service