EnergyOnline
Services

RSS FEED

EnergyOnline.com rss

News

NRC Issues Subsequent License Renewals for First Time to Nuclear Reactors in Florida

LCG, December 11, 2019--The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) staff recently approved Florida Power & Light's (FPL's) application for an additional 20 years of operation for Turkey Point Nuclear Generating Units 3 and 4. This is the first time the NRC has issued renewed licenses authorizing reactor operation from 60 to 80 years. The subsequent (or second) license renewals (SLRs) for Turkey Point Unit 3 and Unit 4 now expire on July 19, 2052 and April 10, 2053, respectively.

Read more

New York Poised to Close Last Coal-fire Power Plant

LCG, December 4, 2019--The last operating coal-fired power plant in New York is moving toward closure shortly. Last month, Somerset Operating Company, a subsidiary of Riesling Power LLC, submitted a request to the New York State Public Service Commission (NYSPSC) to waive the state's required, 180-day notice to close the Somerset Station, allowing the facility to be retired on February 15, 2020. Closure is contingent on approvals by both NYSPSC and the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), which will evaluate if it will cause an adverse effect on grid reliability.

Read more

Industry News

City's Lease to Solar Installation Advances in Nevada

LCG, Apr 28, 2003--Duke Solar Energy appears close to reaching an agreement with Boulder City, Nev. on a lease deal that would provide the city with up to $2 million annually in return for Duke's use of land for a solar field.

Nevada Power and the Eldorado Solar Electric Generation Station were given approval for contracts last month by the Nevada Public Utilities Commission. Boulder City leaders hope to negotiate a separate deal to buy power from the installation at wholesale rates.

"I think it's very important from a standpoint it will be another source of power in Boulder City," Mayor Bob Ferraro told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "We're not hurting in that respect, but it gives us a third source, and it creates additional revenue for the general fund."

The site has highly desirable characteristics for solar power generation, and is close to a distribution point. Construction has yet to start, but operations are expected in 2005. Other nearby power sources include Hoover Dam and a gas-fired plant, Eldorado Energy.

Rates for the plant have not been made public, but George Douglas of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Denver says that per-kilowatt-hour rates of 20 and 25 cents are normal, with the average utility rate at 7 cents per kilowatt-hour. Nevada is requiring that 7 percent of utilities' power sales be from renewable sources by 2005. While Nevada Power has secured 68 percent of the Eldorado solar plant's output, Sierra Pacific will purchase the remaining 32 percent, for a total of 50 megawatts to be supplied. Both utilities are subsidiaries of Nev. Sierra Pacific Resources.
Copyright © 2019 LCG Consulting. All rights reserved. Terms and Copyright
Generator X
Generation and Transmission Planning and Optimization
UPLAN-NPM
The Locational Marginal Price Model (LMP) Network Power Model
UPLAN-ACE
Day Ahead and Real Time Market Simulation
PowerMax
Day-ahead and real-time portfolio revenue optimization
UPLAN-G
The Gas Procurement and Competitive Analysis System
PLATO
Database of Plants, Loads, Assets, Transmission...
MarketWatch
Annual summary of prices, congestion and important events in ERCOT
CAISO CRR Auctions
Monthly Price and Congestion Forecasting Service